All-Inclusive Epicurean Retreat
Farmstead – defined by The American Cheese Society as dairy products using 100% milk from the farm’s own animals.
Immerse yourself in a hands-on, educational cheesemaking experience during this all-inclusive, two-day, three-night epicurean retreat. Elite experts of Medicine Bow Creamery at The Farm at Brush Creek will lead you through a robust itinerary learning the step-by-step process of cheesemaking. Explore the innerworkings of Wyoming’s only Grade-A Goat Dairy – from the breeding and raising of our goat herd, to the farmstead creamery process of using only our herd-sourced milk to craft our award-winning cheeses. Discover how to age cheese gracefully, set up your own process at home, and round out your retreat with plenty of perfectly paired cheese and wine tastings.
All-Inclusive Retreat Itinerary
- Welcome Reception at Medicine Bow Creamery to meet and greet with the cheesemakers, as well as our herd of Alpine, Nubian, and Nigerian Dwarf cross goats.
- Tour The Farm’s 94-yard wine tunnel holding one of the top 10 largest wine collections in the world, followed by dinner at the fine-dining restaurant, Cheyenne Club.
- Begin your day enjoying freshly roasted coffee and goat milk lattes as we discuss how to make cheese at home!
- Discover types of milk and the cheese tree, including acid set, lactic set, and rennet set cheese.
- Review food safety procedures, then roll up your sleeves to make ricotta and begin the process for fresh cheeses you can make to wow your friends and family.
- Learn about the types of cultures, their characteristics, and how to use them.
- Enjoy gourmet grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch, elevated with a tasting of your fresh ricotta cheese and honey.
- Begin a new cheesemaking journey, starting the milk for rennet cheeses. Learn what rennet is and why it’s crucial in cheesemaking.
- Discuss why cheeses stretch or melt before going through a process of cheese curd cutting, draining, and pressing.
- Learn about the importance of salt and the difference between brining and dry salting.
- Arrive at The Farm and caffeinate with fresh goat milk lattes for another full day of hands-on cheesemaking education.
- Continue the processing of your cheeses from the previous day by checking the pH for quality control and monitoring the acid development.
- Discover the world of hard cheeses and create your own! Learn how small changes to technique can create so much variety!
- Indulge in a delicious fresh-off-the-vine Greenhouse salad for lunch topped with cheeses you made!
- Discuss affinage: the art of aging cheese gracefully to achieve the perfect taste and desired texture.
- Review different rinds and learn how to set up an at-home aging cave.
- For the finale, complete your afternoon tasting through a variety of different cheese and wine pairings with a sensory evaluation of each cheese.
- Celebrate your epicurean journey with a final farm-to-table dinner at the Cheyenne Club with paired wine and spirits.
- Enjoy a cozy breakfast by the grand fireplace and panoramic ranch views from the main lodge before departing.
Upcoming Epicurean Retreats